Friday, May 30

Film History: The Beachcomber

The Beachcomber (also called The Vessel of Wrath, after the W. Somerset Maugham story) is a British comedy produced in 1938, starring the incomparable Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester, who were actually married. Laughton is a likable, filandering lush lolling around an East Indies island and Lanchester is the spacey missionary who tries to reform him. The main character's performances are perfect, Laughton's facial expressions are unforgettable. The script is good as well, warm and funny.

Some memorable lines:

I suppose I'm jealous of the reckless way he squanders the priceless treasure of life.

Oh, dry up you blubbering monkey.

That old clothesline ties me up in knots every time she comes near me.

You sentimental suction pump.

I suppose there must be some good in a man who is kind to his dog and keeps his mustache tidy.



No comments: